Comus in August

 So I wanna know what the seasons know

There’s a time to reap, and a time to sow

A time to hold on, and a time to let go 

Teach me to trust when I don’t see.|| Holly Arrowsmith 

I love August. I love the months between seasons. They remind me that change is inevitable, purposeful, beautiful, necessary, and consistent. Everyday is new. Even between seasons, there is beauty. We all live in “the tension of the in-between” - between who we are and who we will be, between creation and the new earth, between the first coming of Christ and the second, between birth and death, between home and sugarloaf mountain, between sunset and sunrise, between summer and fall. We can still find rest in the tension, like a hammock swaying from two tight lines between the trees.  There is beauty here, on the road between today and eternity. There is grace here, in the fear yet thrill of the unknown. There is so much joy here, in the pursuit of God in the details. So, linger a little while in the tension. As I wrote in a poem once, his “hands in the tension see stitches and seams.”

Look. Listen. Rest.

He is here. 

And He never changes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Appointed Portion

Whole before Full// the Christian prayer

Human Nature & Divine Creator: Provision, Power, and Pride